Mission & Purpose
- To ensure a level playing field for charter local education agencies (LEAs), in both financial and regulatory matters
- To promote bills and policies that enable charter LEAs to address their varied missions efficiently, operating as effective schools of choice for all students
- To expose and defeat all policies and bills that adversely target charter LEAs
- To support views and appointments favorable to charter LEAs
- To oppose views and appointments unfavorable to charter LEAs
Urgency of this Organization
Currently, there is no other 501(c)(6) trade group in North Carolina that represents charter schools.
Other charter organizations are 501(c)(3) associations that exist primarily to provide services to their members.
Their ability to lobby is limited.
By law, a 501(c)(3) cannot work to fulfill the mission statement above.
As a 501(c)(6), the NC Coalition for Charter Schools (NC-CCS) is the only organization that can work to be a positive influence for charter schools in the political process by explicitly endorsing candidates and advocating for legislation encompassed by our mission statement.
Thus, NC-CCS is a necessary complement to other organizations.
A 501(c)(6) can endorse federal or state candidates for public office.
The organization may communicate the endorsement to its membership and share the endorsement with the organization's press list.
In its communications to members, the organization can expressly advocate for the election or defeat of a specific candidate.
Under the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision in Citizens United v. FEC, 501(c)(6) organizations may also expressly advocate to the general public, as long as those activities are not coordinated with candidates.
About the Coalition | Mission & Purpose | Nonprofit 501(c)(6)
Board of Directors | Legislative Agenda | Invitation to Join
Current Members | Contact